Remove this ad

Lead

05/26/13 17:00:09

Tags : :

Here's the one and only Twin Bathtub car by customizer Bob Reisner. Bob built some of my favorites and this is one of them. I've already got a little start on it cleaning up the tubs, toilet and engine block.
The whole kit was mint sealed when I got it but that doesn't change the fact the tires and gold chrome are total crap.
The yellow parts are few and I'll most likely try to flock them if it will work. The gold is obviously in need of stripping and I'm changing most of the engine over to '57 300C parts for the higher level of detail. Adding the butterfly plates to the blowers will be a challenge. Anyone know if there's a photo-etched set from anyone or a good tip for making them?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

05/27/13 08:04:02

Okay, this is a new one on me!

999 times out of a thousand the chrome tree is cast in one of the colors of plastic already in the kit, then plated. In this case it would be either the white or that garish yellow...or so one would think. Here's what I found when I stripped the plating!
Yuuup! A third color! Not really a big thing, I've just never seen this before.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

05/29/13 17:28:33

Cleanup is the worst!

=16pxI'm cleaning this puppy up and getting it ready for paint and oh what a process! Between daily routines and taking care of the folks it's tough to get anything done. Anyhoo I was talking with some of the great guys over at Coffin Corner about flocking the padding on this car. Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees and this was the case here. Worried about ruining a vintage kit with some decent value I wanted to get some thought on flocking or embossing powder. I'm not a fan of embossing powder so I really wanted flocking to replicate the velveteen padding. They suggested starting by scribing the grooves a little deeper before flocking to help retain the detail. Then it occurred to me DUH! You resin cast all the time ass...so just make a copy of a seat and try flocking that! So for the next couple days I'll be cleaning up parts and prepping them while I await an order of flocking to come in. Aside from just scribing the lines I'll also be using a straight pin to push the flocking into the crevices. I'm thinking this will work. Sorry I don't have any new pictures just now but I wanted to lay out my plan in case any of you have a suggestion to go along with it.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

06/04/13 01:45:27

How about a dry spray of flat colour? By that i mean spraying from a further distance so you cause some texture to the paint. Not sure if that would give you enough depth, but could work in scale if the flocking is too thick.

Tony, 1967 Beetle (Rusty), Nepean, Ontario, Canada
"Aus Liebe zum Automobil" "For the love of the car"
Rusty's progress photo album

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help