Remove this ad

Lead

08/17/13 15:52:03

Tags : :

Sorry for my long absence gents. I have just undergone my second back surgery and I was NOT happy. So since I'm just laying around I thought I would get something done. This is a project I have been planning for quite some time and recent events have got me going again. I started by painting up one of my 1/43rd scale castings of a Dodge MAGNUM I had mixed feelings about it. I am unhappy about the innacuracies of the small MAGNUM kit.
 So after looking it over I decided to go ahead with my project. I've spent a few hours on it and I'm quite happy with it so far. Here are some progression photos.
imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

08/20/13 10:02:51

Sorry about the surgery...here's to a quick recovery!
Nice start on the project...looking good to me! I know we've lamented about the lack of a good 24/25 scale Magnum, but your mods prove it is possible to modify an existing body...should be a no-brainer, right?
I would consider buying one in resin if ever available!

Tony, 1967 Beetle (Rusty), Nepean, Ontario, Canada
"Aus Liebe zum Automobil" "For the love of the car"
Rusty's progress photo album

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

08/20/13 10:27:46

Street and NASCAR

I'm keeping after this one. It's almost there, to the point I can throw some primer at it. I hope to make this transkit available in street trim and NASCAR. I will offer tail lights for '78 and '79, and there will be a T-top kit separate. Later this year i'll add GT decals and body accents.image

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

08/21/13 17:01:33

Quick update...

I have almost everything but the tail lights roughed in now. Did the opera windows last night, and added the peaks to the fenders. Now it's just gonna be a buttload of sanding!
imageimage

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

08/23/13 03:20:32

Thanks!

=14pxI have this on hold till the weekend though. There's a guy here in town I just met who has a '79 Cordoba, and he's agreed to come by this Saturday so I can verify some measurements. Should be interesting!

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

08/25/13 22:04:51

Tonight went better than expected!

Although I never heard back from the guy with the Cordoba, I forged ahead anyway. I removed the roof/windshield frame and cowl panel from the AMT Charger kit. Then after some meticulous measuring, I removed the roof to the MAGNUM. Not only was this the best way to get the cowl, but it gives me a crisper set of trim lines around the windows. A little filler work where the fender tops meet the windscreen and this part should be golden. Once the insides of the body are shaved down the firewall and fender wells should make the MAGNUM and Charger chassis a Direct Connection (pun most definitely intended!image)
imageimageimageimageimage

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

08/26/13 15:52:08

Thank's Tony.

One of the things that always bugged me about the SMH resins body, is that the hood was shorter than it should be. I think by moving the roof back a hair and forcing the a pillars forward slightly, I've reached a compromise where a little filler will give the needed shape to the trailing edge of the fender and trim.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

08/29/13 15:47:02

This picture makes me sad. You see this is a 1979 Cordoba that I have been trying to catch up to for three years now. Being essentially the same as the MAGNUM with the exception of a few bolt on's I wanted to take measurements to see if my measurements matched...they do nearly perfectly. That should make me happy but here's the full story.

I met the guy about a week ago in a K-mart parking lot. His name is Kevin too and his son is named Kyle, same as mine! He promised to get together with me so I could take pictures and measurements. He never answered my calls and never showed up. A few days later I saw him and his son at a local park. Again he agreed to show up and didn't. The same piles of clothes were in the back seat from a week ago and slowly it dawned on me. I found him at the same park this evening and I asked if I could ask him a personal question. He said yes and I asked "You're living in your car...aren't you?" He is. I spent a few hours talking to him and his story mirrors mine. After my divorce I lived in a car for two years. It sucked. I gave him my number and address and told him if I can help with anything to let me know. I hope I hear from him because he is not one of those bums who prefer to be on the street. He's had a kick to the groin from an ex-wife. I pray for the best for himself and his son. Bad enough to live in a car by oneself, let alone two people.

Ultimately I got the measurements I needed and we parted ways, but I will be watching for him around town and praying for him. Bottom line is this...it can happen to anyone. image

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

08/31/13 00:18:47

Very sad...my prayers for this Kevin and Kyle. Good on you, Kevin, to give them someone to fall back on if needed.

Just noticed the plate on the front of this car pictured above. After 73, Ontario has been a white plate with blue letters/numbers for passenger cars. There are all manner of other colours for diplomats, dealers, etc. Prior to 1973, they were replaced annually (mainly blue with white or white with blue from the 60s on, though some variations), so now you can put a year of manufacture plate on a collector car (If I could find one for my 67 Beetle from 1967 and the plate checked out (number not currently in use) and the plates were in good condition they could be used-for a fee over $250!). Not sure if that Ontario plate would have been a dealer plate or something else (I'll see if I can find out, more for my own curiosity!). Interesting that it also has a month with the year, which is why I first thought it a dealer plate, though I thought back then they were reversed to this (yellow with black). I am assuming that where you are only issues a rear plate? Being a dark picture it is hard to tell, but it looks like it is in decent shape considering the year!

I truly hope things work out for those two. Not an easy way to live as I can only imagine.

Tony, 1967 Beetle (Rusty), Nepean, Ontario, Canada
"Aus Liebe zum Automobil" "For the love of the car"
Rusty's progress photo album

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

08/31/13 04:30:14

You're right...

=14pxWest Virginia only issues rear plates. We did start to discuss the Ontario plate (MAGNUM's and Cordoba's were assembled at the Ontario plant) and I'll have to quiz him more about it.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

08/31/13 09:45:47

A little test fitting never hurt anyone.

I haven't gotten much done except some sanding out of the inner body. Thank God and Dremel! One thing that always bugged me about the SMH resins MAGNUM, was the too short hood. I killed about three birds with one stone on that one! By removing the Monaco roof and adding the Charger roof/cowl panel I was able to move the roof back 2mm which gave me the proper side windows, wheelbase and core support position. All that's required now is to add a little plastic to the fender tops where they meet the doors.
This did leave a little gap between the inner fenders and the firewall which will be nothing to fix.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

09/02/13 10:08:29

I'll add some pictures to this later this evening. I opened up the tail light sockets last night, worked on the hood a little and sanded the side bulges down to just above where I want them. My issue right now is, I REALLY want to get to the transitions between the bulges and the upper and lower body. I'm basically fighting the urge to fill them with putty. You know...the easy way out. I did think about making a masking tape and clay dam and pouring in some resin but that would be too hard to control around the door lock detail I'm trying so hard to preserve. My final thinking on it is thus. If I leave the locks in the original state the corner of the bulge next to them won't look right. So the plan is to throw caution to the winds, door locks be damned and I'll re-create those later when I do the body badges and such. Not only have I done the entirety of the body work in plastic, I did it all up to this point on...get this...wait for it...ONE, count'em ONE tube of super glue! I know right? I mean that in itself is amazing. Long story short I'll stick with plastic and cut the fillers tonight during the race. image

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

09/10/13 13:54:36

I want a fleet so...yes I'll be casting them

I threw a little primer at it the other day to check my progress. All the corners need to be thinner and the transitions smoother but I'm getting there. Long way to go though because when I'm done with the body I have to build the interior.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help